Northumberland forensics team takes first place in conference
The Northumberland High School forensics team (pictured above) took first place honors over Washington and Lee High School and will compete on the regional level in West Point this Saturday.
The Northumberland High School Forensics team captured first place Conference honors this past Tuesday. Washington and Lee High School earned second place honors. The top three competitors from each team will travel to the Regional competition at West Point on Saturday, March 1.
Earning honors at the event were the following-Storytelling: Joshua McKinley (1st place); Impromptu: Cathleen Harp (2nd place); Poetry: Joey Gaskins (1st place) and Casey Gaskins (2nd place); Humorous Dramatic: Johnnie McAfee (1st place) and Robin Wigfield (2nd place); Prose: Alexandra Pitman (1st place) and Rebecca Kues (3rd place); Humorous Duo: Megan Baughan and Emily Sprague (1st place) and Vanessa Silva and Vivian Silva (3rd place).
Forensics is a public speaking event in which students participate in categories that can be described as follows:
• Original oratory, where you write and deliver your own persuasive speech;
• Prose, which is read dramatically from a manuscript;
• Poetry interpretation, which is dramatically reading a poem or poems written by other authors;
• Humorous dramatic interpretation, which consists of interpreting humorous published work either individually or as a duo;
• Serious dramatic interpretation-interpret from a serious published work either individually or as a duo;
• Extemporaneous speaking, which focuses on demonstrating one’s ability to stay abreast of current events and to be prepared to answer questions on current events with some prep time;
• Impromptu, a category in which the speaker chooses a topic from several provided choices that range from people, proverbs and events and give a quick monologue about it; and
• Storytelling, in which the participant memorizes and dramatizes a children’s story.
The Northumberland team is coached by Patricia Dawson. Last year they earned both District and Regional team titles as well as many individual state awards.