Northumberland Echo

Follow Us On:

Football takes the win 61-0

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 9:43 am

Surviving a three week break due to scheduling and the weather, Northumberland still rolled over a winless Middlesex team at home Friday night, 61-0. The rust was showing as the Indians amassed a total of seventeen penalties for well over a hundred yards and had seven touchdowns called back. That doesn’t sound as bad as it seems as the Indians were able to score on almost all of the same drives.
The big news was transfer Mason Adams starting at quarterback. Adams, coming from 6A Colonial Forge in Stafford, led the Indians on four of their scoring drives, throwing for 169 yards on a seen of nine completion night. The game was so complete as far as Head Coach Aaron Lewis was concerned he summed it up with there words, “I think we did great. We executed well, played hard and had fun.”
Middlesex took the opening kickoff but gave the ball to the Indians when they tried for a first down on the Northumberland 49 yard line. Two plays later, the Indians were in the end zone. But that one and the three following apparent TDs were called back by penalties. Finally with just over a minute left in the first period, Keon Redmond crashed over from four yards out, Harry Lee added the point after on a kick.
In the second period things fell apart for the visiting Chargers. Mason Adams hit Delvin Palmer on a ten yard scoring stike. Lee added the PAT. The score covered 27 yards in three plays set up by Diontye Kelly interception. Minutes later, Jerquist Morris raced in the three yard line. Lee was true on the kick. This score was set up by a Delvin Palmer sack and a recovered fumble by Jaheim Owens. Morris was a major contributor to the drive with a 27 yard scamper. Middlesex was charged with a two point safety when the ball carrier was gang tackled by the Indians.
Forced to free kick from their 120 yard line, the Chargers kicked it to Delvin Palmer. Palmer then raced 65 yards for the Indians next TD. Lee again was true on the PAT kick. Middlesex had another safety charged to them when they centered the ball over the quarterback’s head out of the end zone. The run back by the Indians was called back by yet another infraction and they settled for a 32 yard Harry Lee field goal to close the first half. Resorting to the bench for substitutes did nothing to shut off the Indian’s scoring machine. In the final quarter, Denzell Palmer hit Derrick Smith on a 35 yard scoring pass play. This time Lee’s kick was good.
The Indians are back in action this week for a Saturday, 1 p.m. trip to Christchurch.