Northumberland Echo

Follow Us On:

Smith Point Rescue report

Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 4:07 pm

October 1: 

At 8:40 a.m. the Reedville Fishermen’s Museum asked Smith Point Sea Rescue to tow their 40’ deadrise, “Foggy River,” to Butler’s Railway for repairs. A crew of three motored Rescue 1 to the museum’s dock and successfully towed the historic vessel. Time on call, 1 hour.

October 3:

At 12:35 p.m. a crew of three on Rescue 1 towed the “Foggy River” from Butler’s Railway back to the Reedville Fishermen’s Museum dock. Time on call, 1 hour.

October 6:

At 11:15 a.m. a crew of three ran Rescue 1 up the Great Wicomico where the crew served as the safety boat while high school students cleaned up the river around Mallard Bay for NAPS, the Northumberland Association for Progressive Stewardship. Time on call, 3.5 hours.

October 9: 

At 10 a.m. the captain of a 22’ Robalo center console reported his engine had died in upper Lodge Creek. A crew of two responded with Rescue 3 and towed the vessel to Olverson’s Marina for pull out and repairs. Time on call, 1 hour.

October 14:

At 10 a.m. the captain of a 20’ Aristocrat power runabout called to report his engine had failed and he was drifting in the Potomac River off Lewisetta Point. Rescue 3 with a crew of three was dispatched from Olverson’s Marina and towed the boat into Lewisetta Marina for repairs. The two passengers then boarded Rescue 3 and were returned to Olverson’s Marina where their car was parked. Time on call, 2 hour.

October 17:

At 1:15 a.m. the Northumberland County Sheriff’s Office received a call from the Maryland Marine Police asking for assistance aiding a boater in serious trouble near Smith Island, MD. The boater, who was on board a 26’ sailboat with two dogs, had lost engine power and in very rough seas was being swept into shallow water. A crew of four departed Reedville at 1:30 a.m. and motored 15 miles through heavy seas. On arrival the crew watched as a Coast Guard helicopter successfully lifted the sailor and his two dogs from the battered vessel up into the helicopter. The crew then turned around for an arduous trip home arriving at the boathouse at 5 a.m. Time on call, 4 hours.

October 19: 

At 9 a.m., one crew boarded Rescue 1 in Reedville, a second crew boarded the “new” Rescue 2 at Buzzard’s Point Marina where the boat was just put into service, and a third crew boarded Rescue 3 in Callao. The boats assembled at Smith Point Light where the “new” boat was officially welcomed into the fleet. Upon dismissal, Rescue 1 returned to its boathouse in Reedville, the “new” Rescue 2 was motored to its new home at Olverson’s Marina, and Rescue 3 was installed at Smith Point Marina, where it will now service the Little Wicomico River and nearby waters. Time on call, 3 hours.