The Fairfields Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire at a residence in Fleeton last Wednesday. Fire Chief Phillip Keyser said they extinguished the blaze before it caused any injuries or major structural damage.
According to Keyser, the call came in around 10:35 p.m. on the night of Jan. 1. The incident had been called in as a chimney fire/possible structural fire.
The source of the fire was a woodstove that the house’s owner and only occupant had lit that night to heat up the home.
Keyser said the woodstove somehow caught the flooring on fire underneath the house.
When the fire department arrived on scene, they had to cut a little hole in the floor to get down to and put out the flames.
Keyser said there was some smoke throughout the home, but that the structural damage had been kept to a minimum. He added that the fire could have been worse had it occurred later on in the evening.
-Pick up a copy of the January 8 issue of the Northumberland Echo to read the full story!